Cullochy Lock, near Loch Oich, lies on the Caledonian Canal which stretches for sixty miles from Corpath, near Fort William, to Inverness in the Scottish Highlands. The canal, which opened in 1822, was designed by Thomas Telford. We were fortunate to be walking near Cullochy Lock, just down from Bridge of Oich, as three boats approached to go up through the lock to head for Loch Oich, the highest point of the Caledonian Canal.
Boat approaching Cullochy Lock
Boat entering Cullochy Lock
Three boats lined up in Cullochy Lock
Looking south from Cullochy Lock
The lock-keeper’s cottage at Cullochy Lock
The old winding machinery at Cullochy Loch
Some canoeists had to take the more physical option of carrying their vessels down the towpath. It’s deemed unsafe for canoes to use the locks, due to the deluge of water when the lock gates are opened.
Canoeists north of Cullochy Lock