Having lived in the Netherlands for quite some time now, and having visited its various tourist and the not-so-tourist destinations, my love for this beautiful country increases with every passing day.
Here are some of the reasons why I love the Netherlands :
- The Netherlands is a small cosy country – a few hundred kilometers across the East-West and the North-South. You can pretty much drive through the entire country in under 3 hours.
- Not only the big cities likeÂ Amsterdam,Â Rotterdam, andÂ The Hague feature plenty of sightseeing opportunities but theÂ small villages and cities also provide wonderful insights into the Dutch culture and the way of life here.
- The weather though unpredictable at times, offers a plethora of possibilities in terms of events and activities heldÂ throughoutÂ the year.
- The summer in the Netherlands witnesses the country hosting some of the biggest European festivals including the Rotterdam Summer Festival and the Deventer Book Market.
- Skiing, snow-boarding, ice skating are just some of the activities in vogue during the winters.
- If there was just one reason to love the Netherlands, it would be this – theÂ mesmerizingÂ and delightful tulips in full blossom during the spring season. These lovely bulbs showcase all theÂ colorsÂ of life. My cycle trip across the tulip fields earlier this year, is full of such find memories.
- The boat rides through the narrow countryside canals as well as cruise trips across the Maas river render a surreal charm to these low lands.
- Come rain, wind, snow or storm, the Dutch cycle their way to work/school/fun and living in the Netherlands, I have developed a liking for the bicycle too – the preferred mode of transportation in this fascinating country.
- The country also has a lively art and culture scene, with some wonderful museums and unique architecture.
- And lastly, at the risk of sounding clichÃ©, I want to add that I simply love the various kinds ofÂ Dutch cheese on offer here.
Have you ever visited the Netherlands? What do you think are the best things to do in Holland? Share your views in the comment section below.
[Photo Credit – atlassb]