If you haven’t considered joining Twitter yet, you really should. It’s becoming the web’s social hotspot and the developing into a very interesting travel experiment. Consider these two recent developments:
- Paul Smith is attempting to hitchhike his way to New Zealand, via Twitter.
- Portland has opened their online Twisitor Center. They’ll be more to come – a new site is tracking all of them.
Here’s how I use Twitter to keep up with the world:
- Follow companies to get Tweets on their travel deals. I follow Ryanair_EDI to get Ryanair’s deals specifically out of Edinburgh. How cool is that? Have a look around for your favourite airline or specific destination-based deals.
- Keep in touch with your favourite bloggers. Myself, Karen Bryan, Amanda Kendle, and Heather Cowper of the Europe A La Carte Team are all on Twitter.
- Post your travel questions. Twitter is an open forum, and even folk who aren’t following you can find your tweets via Twitter Search. It is best if you have a specific question; for example, I recently posted a query about driving times and ferries for a hiking trip in Norway. Someone who lived nearby dropped me a note and gave me a detailed response. Very helpful!
Do you use Twitter for travel? How do you use it?
Image Courtesy Luc Legay
More from my site